Thursday, December 3, 2009

Christmas just wouldn’t be Christmas without Marks and Spencers and an IML album.

I ended up having fingers in many pies this project and with the pies now on their way into the oven and my fingers still smelling of fruit I cannot wait to taste everyone else’s.

The most time recently has gone into a collaboration with Barney and Layla on a track called The Freeekshow. As ever I played the finished track to family. My 5 year old nodded his head but screwed up his face, my wife said ‘it sounds like the Beatles if you listen to it from another room’(!) and my seven year old said ‘you can definitely tell when its Barney singing’. As ever, the gentle ambiguity of their critiques has failed to clarify the success of the track, but what the hell, I like it and it rocks about as much as an old crooner like me can rock without feeling too ill.

As well as doing some vocal work on Joe’s dramatic and very fly 12/8 groove on Hephaestus I have also had the pleasure of working on a 3 way collaboration with Dan G and Audrey. A very different track to previous IML outings it can best be described as a chance encounter between Sir Andrew Lloyd Weber and Lionel Ritchie writing a bar song for a freak and a French girl while sentimentally sozzled on Marks and Spencers lager. From that foreboding description the song is saved by some exquisitely delivered vocals from Audrey and some emotive piano playing from Durham University’s greatly missed organ scholar.

Definitely abstaining now till release day. I have heard the odd snatch of other tracks along the way and am sure the album will be a Bobby Dazzler.

1 comment:

  1. I love the sound of Hephaestus, P&M.

    I am abstaining till release day, too. I think I'm looking forward to it even more this time round, probably because, not appearing on this one, there's no performance anxiety.

    I watched Browning's 'Freaks' for the first time last night. Birdman was going to have little Harry Earles on the cover of our first single (WHICH YOU CAN PRE-ORDER NOW ON ROUGH TRADE SHOP ONLINE - BUY BUY BUY!!!), until I made the mistake of asking Warner for permission to use it. Anyway, it was good to see Prince Randian on there, as well as generally get in the mood for the freaks side of the album. I think I'll smash some plates and wear some sandals to prepare for the other half. Or wrestle a young boy.

    The Enlightened

    ReplyDelete